Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Moody Blues and Workaholicism

This week I have been having the moody blues .... Yes, that sounds appropriate: moody blues. I think more than anything, I have been blah. Trying to nail down the daily routine that is being "unemployed."

I tend to be a workaholic.... I always work my butt off to be the very best, number one, most dependent employee ever. Which means I tend to put other things in the background due to lack of time from my workaholicism. Yes... that is what I suffer from: workaholicism.

Which means the whole not having a real job thing is DIFFICULT.

I struggle during the day to be motivated and to move forward.... but I am succeeding .... so far.

My husband told me a couple days ago: "It's good to have you back." I was bewildered... he said I had gone away for awhile under the stress of my job and he was happy to have me back to him again. He said I seem "balanced" .... that made me very happy and also reminded me to keep on track with things so that when I find a new full time position, I can maintain that balance.

Lately, I have been reverting back to a lot of different songs, and listening to them on repeat. I do that when I am blah, or down, or feeling any sort of strong emotion: Listen.

I thought I would share a few of the songs that I can't seem to get enough of recently.

Arkitekt - 14 Days (Acoustic)
I heard this song the other day on facebook. Weird I know. When I am bored, I tend to get on facebook and look at new pictures that have been posted. I don't know why but I find it incredibly fascinating. Seeing what other people do daily and what photos they choose to share with the world. I just love seeing people's lives and I guess I consider it online people watching. I never search someone, I just go to the photos button and click and click and click. Anyways, people can now tag people in videos and I came across a wonderful choreographers video to this song. The dance wasn't necessarily fantastic, but the way it portrayed the song was fascinating! It reminded me of Black Swan in a weird way too. I immediately downloaded the song off iTunes and I can't help but want to dance around the room to it! I haven't just danced around the room in a long time, and it was amazing :)



Strays Don't Sleep - Blue Skies
My dear friend Emily showed me this song about 6 months ago and I have been in love with it ever since. Her father passed away before we met and she said it reminds her of him. It is a very simple song. VERY simple. (My husband even has a hard time listening to it due to its simplicity) Anyways, this song has taken on so many different meanings for me over the course of those months. Now, I think it represents how I feel about my relationship with myself. Sounds weird but it is just truly beautiful and is about forgiving when you feel like you can't. I listen to it while stretching after each gym session and it's so relaxing.
My favorite line:

Could I have saved you?
Would that have betrayed you?


Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man and Awake my Soul
I absolutely adore this band and these are my two favorite songs off their new album. Little Lion Man is very empowering to me for some reason. I don't know what the true meaning is behind it but to me it represents all the times people tell you "no" or "you can't" or just don't believe in you in general. It is an empowering song to me because the lyrics keep putting the person down and stressing that their failure is due to their own accord but the music encourages you forward in a powerful way. I'm a weirdo I know, but I just cant help but think of all the times people tried to push down whatever I was dreaming or striving for, and how important persistence is in those moments.


Weep for yourself, my man,
You'll never be what is in your heart
Weep Little Lion Man,
You're not as brave as you were at the start
Rate yourself and rake yourself,
Take all the courage you have left
Wasted on fixing all the problems
That you made in your own head


The second song by them I love (Awake my Soul) is a beautiful reminder of what matters. And I love how it feels like a modern day hymn. The main lyric that gets me is:


In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life


It's just a reminder that our lives are precious gifts and where we invest our time is important. What will we leave as a reminder for those who loved us. It really rings personal to me and my workaholicism ;) Focus on those things that matter: relationships, experiences, personal/spiritual journeys ... and embrace them until the day we're called home.

I recommend their whole CD to be honest! They are all beautiful songs that are so moving in their own way! I am so hooked :)

Any songs yall rely on or are hooked on? I would love to hear them!


No comments: