Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mirror Image

Last night, J and I finally saw Black Swan. If you haven't seen it yet, please don't read this post. I think it's important to see it from your own perspective and not have my opinions running through your head.

Here's the trailer:


Once again.... If you haven't seen it, see it! Then come back and share your opinion! I would love to discuss it with you.

I have been looking forward to this movie for quite some time. I read interviews with Natalie Portman and watched the trailer over and over and over. I also am a big Mila Kunis fan so I was excited to see them working together onscreen. To be honest, I had been so excited for it that I was expecting to probably be disappointed. I have hyped it up so much in my mind, that I thought it wouldn't match my expectations. Boy, was I wrong. I was floored. I spent the next two hours after the movie just being in complete "aw" and saying "that was so good" like a broken record.

The movie hit home for both my husband and I.... hard core. Anyone who has strived after some sort of creative endeavor and dedicated their life to making that endeavor perfect will identify with it. The movie was an emotional and psychological roller coaster which a little too closely resembles the inner struggle I think any artist battles. Watching Nina (Natalie Portman) face herself, her failure, the pressures she endures, and her fears was absolutely breathtaking. Actually, if I could sum up the film in one word, it would probably be "breathtaking."

The lesbian/self sex scenes were so symbolically powerful that I hope people don't get lost in the facade of it all. Watching her move from a self-disgust to a self-love and then seeing her conquer herself was beyond amazing. I think it is a beautiful portrayal of just how far a person will go to achieve their perfection or success.

Beyond anything, it was an incredibly moving film and evoked such emotion in me that I felt its affects for hours after leaving the theater.

Bravo to Natalie, Mila and the rest of the crew/writers/directors/dancers/ etc. The emotion Natalie was able to invoke with her face alone was beyond compare and I hope she wins any award she is nominated for this year. I haven't been so affected by a film since Meet Joe Black.

If you've seen it, please email me or call me or something! I want your opinions :)

1 comment:

Emily @ EMILY POSTS said...

ah I haven't seen it yet! (But still read your post!) I'll let ya know once I see it..