This is a tough one for some reason. I think because my beliefs are always changing and evolving. That is something that I have really taken pride in since moving out of my little bubble. I enjoy that I am always learning, shifting, changing and growing in all sorts of directions. I think I am going to try and sum up a few of my core beliefs:
God is Good and sometimes Faith is all we have. - Life has been such a roller coaster and I think it's true that sometimes the best gifts in life are unanswered prayers. I have prayed for so many silly things over the years and was devastated when things turned out the opposite way of my desires... but as the years go by I have discovered that those unanswered prayers have been the greatest blessings because it brought me to where I am today. (Not to say that I don't still pray my little heart out, because I do)... Thank you Lord. God is Good. :)
Everyone has a story - This has been a struggle to grasp for me but I feel like I am finally learning to curb my other emotions and more than anything try to understand. I have always worked to try and be as nice to everyone as I would want them to be to me. However, like every other human, sometimes I can be quick to judge. But the truth is, EVERYONE has a story. Every person reacts to others on a predetermined set of actions, beliefs, preconceptions, etc. We all got to be where we are today by going through our own crap in life and many of our actions and reactions are just learned behavior from our own life path. For example, the waiter for dinner could be a total jerk and in a bad mood, etc. But maybe that's because he just got laid off and is working a crappy job to try and pay his family's bills. So the minute your nice and he realizes you understand and aren't going to take it out on his tip, he lightens up and brings you extra breadsticks or whatever. Get what I mean. That was a bad example maybe. But when I feel like someone is being intentionally cross with me or inappropriate, I work on being nice to them in whatever place they are at for that moment. It's amazing how that can turn a "rough" situation into a pleasant one in a split second. It's still a work in progress, but at least I am trying :)
Communication Solves Everything - This is probably the biggest thing I have learned since getting married. My husband is the biggest communicator and has really worked on me getting out of my non-communicative bubble. He always says this to me and my gosh, it is SO true. It's surprising how many people curb open communication on a daily basis. It seems like we all have this little filter on... don't get too personal, don't be vulnerable, don't put yourself out there, don't say anything that might come across offensive....etc, etc, etc. You'll be surprised how refreshing honesty can be in most situations when it's easier to go on auto-pilot. And the truth is, most people like to talk about themselves. So what's weird about getting personal? Try it, I think you'll be surprised. :)
Enthusiasm is crucial - the last core belief I will go into also happens to be one of my favorite quotes.
" Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. "
-Samuel Ullman
I don't think I could have summed it up any better! You must choose joy in life. It really is a choice and sometimes you have to work at it... (or at least I know I do!). Our lives aren't all glitz and glamor, sometimes you have to be enthusiastic about the little day-to-day things. Otherwise, what are you waiting for? In the words of Fight Club, "This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."
Maybe if I feel the spark, I'll write about some of my other beliefs.... this was actually one of my favorite posts to write I think :)
1 comment:
I am dying to be able to be too open with people, too personal, too vulnerable. But, I'm not getting that at all so I really yearn for it.
Post a Comment