Monday, April 9, 2012

Blast from the Past ... Cinema style

Alright... took a little break there to talk about my handsome husband.  But feel the need to finish up my blast from the past blog series... First, was books.  Then was TV shows.  And now MOVIES.  yes.... movies.

I'm going to stick with what I watched as a youngster ...

First and Foremost. I would like to mention The Chipmunk Adventure from 1987.  The BEST chipmunk movie of all time! The story is basically that Alvin has entered himself and Simon and Theodore in a hot-air balloon race around the world against the Chipettes to deliver diamonds for a group of diamond smugglers.  But hilarity and a fabulous dance number or two ensues. I wanted to be a Chippette SO bad!  And isn't Theodore the cutest?!
I've tried to find this on DVD for YEARS!  but it's always sold out or super expensive.  dang.  

Next up is Dance 'til Dawn ... a made for TV movie from 1988 that my parents happened to record for my sister and I.  It's your typical high school prom scenario except with an all-star cast including:
Teens
Parents

Amazing?!  Yes, yes it is!  And I found it on DVD about 2 years ago! SCORE!

I can't talk about beloved movies without mentioning Girls Just Want to Have Fun and Disney's the Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Robin Hood.  My dad actually tossed Girls Just Want to Have Fun because my parents were afraid it would breed rebellion in my sister and I.... Wow they've come a long way since then :)   And to say that my sister and I still sing Little Mermaid songs complete with hand gestures whenever we see each other would be the complete truth!  We won the movie on VHS from a coloring contest.  We were hard core!  But since I am guessing that my readers also watched them incessantly, I will move on ....  

Next... was that oh so delightful comedy... I also currently own on DVD... Big Business. The 1988 film with Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin as 2 sets of twins who got switched at birth. One set grew up rich in the big city and the other set grew up poor in the country.   AMAZING! If you haven't seen it, you should.   :)

Next up ... BIG and The Money Pit ... Tom Hanks is a genius in so many ways.  And you can't forget about Overboard... my favorite Goldie Hawn movie Ever! 

And last but certainly not least.... I was obsessed with a little movie from 1989 called She's out of Control.  Tony Danza at his finest as a father trying to deal with a daughter who is suddenly the hot new thing in town.  I also own it on DVD so feel free to borrow it at any time :)   Matthew Perry is in this one too!  


Besides the staple Disney faves, what were your favorite childhood movies?

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Ha! That's too funny! Jaylinne is currently in her Chipettes phase right now....and she is convinced she IS one! :) Oh and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to borrow She's Out of Control (I used to LOVE that one!) and Dance til Dawn (Look at that cast!)