Friday, November 25, 2011

Tofurkey Nonsense

Well folks, we did it!  We survived our first Vegan Thanksgiving.  I'm not going to lie, I was pretty dang nervous about staying strong with our new eating style for the holidays.  And... so far, so good.

I am a holiday nut!  I love them!  From Thanksgiving through Christmas Day, I am in complete bliss!  Christmas is my favorite holiday and I love the traditions I had growing up for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Well, living away from my family has always been hard on me for Thanksgiving.  I miss the traditional Thanksgiving routine...
  • Watch the parade while mom finishes up the cooking
  • The moment Santa does his wave, head to the kitchen and start the pies
  • Prepare the table and greet the family as they arrive
  • EAT to my hearts content
  • Eat pies to my hearts content
  • Play games in the dining room like Rummikub and sequence
  • Watch a girly movie in the den while the men watch footbal (AKA Nap) in the living room
  • Eat a quick dinner (usually another piece of pie) then head out to see a new holiday movie
 I know it sounds ridiculous but I miss my mom's food!  I miss the traditional dishes that were a staple every year.  I had some major preplanning for our holiday experience this season. 

A local store that sells ONLY local produce had a Vegan Thanksgiving Package on sale for $15!  It came with mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, 2 rolls and seitan.  Now, I have heard A LOT about seitan but had never been interested in really eating it.  I mean wheat gluten does not sound appetizing.  But I knew this year would be tough so I figured the reinforcements were necessary.  They only had a single serving item of each thing so I also made my own mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy for leftovers.  It was my first attempt at making gravy EVER but I love it and all its mushroom goodness :)

I was also able to make my favorite side dish (Spinach Souffle) and my favorite dessert (Chocolate Layer Pie) by substituting it with almond milk and vegan cream cheese.  Normally, I don't like to count on foods that need substitutions but I was THRILLED!  Overall it was a wonderful Thanksgiving and I really enjoyed spending the afternoon at J's Sister's house with his family.  They are such pleasant people to be around and I always feel completely welcomed. 

Looking back at yesterday though, it was amazing how dumb it seemed to be eating the seitan.  I am big on eating being an experience.  Everything about it should be an experience.  The atmosphere, the company and the tastes.  But eating some fake meat with gravy  just so I could feel like I was having a "Thanksgiving Meal" was just dumb.  Actually ABSURD.  It's been 8 months with no meat except fish and it was weird not only not wanting the turkey but not wanting anything that resembled it. 

His brother-in-law asked us whether our dietary changes were one of "addition" or "depletion"  .... we hesitated for a split second and said "both" at the exact same time.  It's the depletion of dairy and most meat but it's the addition of so many wonderful foods that I had never given a chance before.  Despite the changes, it was the perfect Thanksgiving!  I couldn't be more thankful for my loving husband, family, in-laws and friends! 

Hope everyone had a blessed holiday!

PS> only one month 'til Christmas!  Oh the joy! :)

3 comments:

chariskalee said...

Sounds like you guys had a lovely, and healthy, holiday. Right on!

Jessie said...

Your dessert was SO good! I loved it!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay a utah blogger!