Monday, November 28, 2011
#OccupyYourMind
"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
So I never get political on my blog. Mostly because my views are the exact opposite of my family's, J's family and several of our friends'. I just don't want to get into it. I know what I research but being able to regurgitate said research is NOT my strong-suit. With that being said, I think it is important to pay attention to what is going on in the world. I stay up on the Euro crisis and the various countries running to China for help but I won't pretend to know more than the articles I read each day. All I can say is that the world is changing.
I read a quote the other day that basically said most families are one illness away from poverty. The quote struck me... hard. As in, had nightmares and trouble sleeping for several days. Our country is in shambles and it's not healthy to pretend like that doesn't exist. Sure, we are living our lives the same way we always do but we are lucky.
J and I talk about it a lot. I think it's hard to have a movement with no defined leader. No MLK Jr. out there showing the way to reform. I also think that the importance of the Occupy movement has been overshadowed by the "Wandering Moochers" ... I am calling them that because they are lost and are desperate for some spark of excitement and something to believe in. They have leeched on to the cause as a way to make a statement rather than being part of the statement that already existed.
I remember reading one of the articles where the Occupy movement had been forced out of the park they had been living in. One of the main contenders in the movement was interviewed and expressed his gratitude for being forced to start over. He said that the movement wasn't supposed to be a camp out with tents and sleeping bags, it was supposed to be about their concerns and reforms getting acknowledged by the powers at be. This man said the people with all the tents had distracted from the true meaning of the movement and the 99%.
Sure, I thought the same thing at first.... Why are all these people out here protesting?! What the heck are they thinking they are protesting with all their disorganization? Why don't they just get a job or go to work?
It's silly to think about now and I feel a little remorse about the thoughts I had. I have a job. I am one of the lucky ones. I survived being laid off and we were able to make it work until I got hired. Many people are not that lucky. They don't have the survival net I had of friends and family willing to chip in at every moment.
Before I ramble into Never-Never Land.... please watch this video. And keep your eyes and ears open... we are the 99%.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Excellent post Meggi! I too try to avoid political discussion, I think a lot of it relates to my experience and careful choices due to my line of work.
However, I do know what it is like to have a health issue impact my family and income and it is tough. I do know that if no one ever takes the time to speak up there can never be change. I have been torn on this issue. I agree with so many points that they make, I believe that they have every right to protest. I worry some that it will be too hard for the protest to have a solid impact our financial struggles. I think it would take larger organization, and ultimately a lot more time.
Anyway, sorry for the novel comment. And again, moving blog. Inspires thought. Well done!
Wow...
Post a Comment