Thursday, May 5, 2011

"You's a Fine MF, Back that {thang} up"

That's right ladies... Back that THANG up!  And by thang, I mean hard drive.

Late Sunday evening, my computer took a turn for the worse.  My beautiful little Macbook... a full blown toddler now... suddenly froze.  I did what any wonderful mommy would do and hit REBOOT.  I waited lovingly for the computer to restart but nothing... just a sad sad black screen.

Finally... after much sweet-talking... the screen came back to life! I was elated!  Until I realized that this was not a normal toddler tantrum... this was bad... oh VERY bad! 

It was a blue screen with a blinking blue file folder that contained a blinking blue question mark.  Never has "?" looked so ugly and vile! Screw you, Vile Screen!

I immediately texted my computer savvy friend (Rob):
"My computer freaked out and now I have a blinking file folder with a "?" in the middle... is this bad?!"

Much to my despair... he called to let me know that my wonderful little laptop has gone cu-putz. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's a hard drive problem... which means, he could possibly salvage some stuff by running some sort of fancy computer disk or I can pay a lot of money to have it professionally done but either way, I need a new hard drive and whatever isn't backed up is LOST!  Yes, on an island of missing photos and damaged files.

Ohhh.... the sadness.  I actually cried when telling my husband... but HEY, that is where I have stored EVERYTHING since I moved to Utah!  My digital storage unit is a complete loss. 

So... a word to the wise... back upAnd OFTEN!   Luckily my husband bought me a hard drive for Christmas so I have backed up sometime between then and February.  The problem is that I can't remember what I backed up!  I know I got some photos, but what about my tunes?!

Oh, it will be a long road to Macbook recovery but here's hoping I backed up more than I thought I did!

In the meantime, I will be sporadically using my husband's laptop to fill the Macbook void.   Oh sweet addiction.

2 comments:

chariskalee said...

What a bummer! Hope you ended up recovering your stuff chica.

Christy Tub said...

Oh nooo!! That sucks!!!