Sunday, August 1, 2010

SL Bliss

Even though I have lived away from Oklahoma since 2007, I still get homesick. I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss my favorite restaurants and hangouts.

This is the first summer I've actually not been intensely homesick and sad! I love how outdoorsy people are here and have been relishing in the beauty of the state. (It helps that we've had gorgeous weather).

Since I never get to use my season tickets for OU football and they RARELY even play them on a TV station in Utah, I also go through MAJOR OU football withdrawals. Luckily, REAL Salt Lake games help fill my OU void. The games are awesome! The stadium holds just over 20,000 people so it's only about 1/4 of the size of OU's which is 82,112. That makes it the 14th largest college stadium in the US. The record attendance for OU's was set during a 2008 home game against Texas Tech University, with 85,646 in attendance!





Anyways, REAL won the MLS Cup last year so it was a pretty big deal. They also have a franchise-record unbeaten home streak of 20 games. AND... they sell beer :)






Joel and I have started embracing the UT Trax system as well. I liken it to a clean, above-ground subway. It's a ton of fun and super cheap way to get from downtown to just about anywhere. AND, there's a trax station about a ten minute walk from our house!

Utah is also a great place for outdoor events. They had a ton of festivals and outdoor festivities downtown. Their farmers market is awesome and busy! AND always a good source of free entertainment :)





They also have a Twilight Concert series. Every Thursday evening, they bring bands in to perform live outside for free! That's right ... FREE! The first one of the summer was Modest Mouse... about 40,000 Utahns attended! There were so many people that the park was labeled at capacity and they had to count people in and out of the gate. CRAZY!

I'm sad to say that it's officially August which means summer is coming to an end. Summer is my favorite time of year so I am VERY sad to see it go! I'll just have to seek out more fall entertainment. Here's to hopin....

No comments: