Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Post 1- Guilty pleasure.

Guilty Pleasure. Hmmm. I don't know if I will be able to define A guilty pleasure. I have SO many. I'm filled with little obsessions that keep everyday interesting... I will name one of my top ones.

RESEARCH:
I'm a bit of a knowledge whore, I guess you could say. Terrible to use "whore" in a post but I really don't know how else to describe it. I ADORE researching stuff. And when I say "stuff" I literally mean everything and anything! Thank the Lord I have an unlimited data plan on my cell phone! This past month, my data usage was just over 89,000! ... I don't really know what that means but J's was only about 67,000 so it has to be a lot of use in a month! Anytime a random question comes up (such as "where did that phrase even come from?" or "what year did such-and-such happen?") I AM ON IT! I often tell J I would like to go back to college and get another major JUST so I can research and write papers on things. Lame. But EXHILARATING at the same time ;)

Just to give an example of how painfully fun research is to me, I will give you a quick story...
When we lived in Vegas, I begged a friend who had been to Area 51 to take a group of us out there. He promised me that he would take us... IF ... I could find him a specific vehicle. He gave me a year, make, model, color, interior, price range, tire details, distance of purchase, etc. After only 30 MINUTES, I emailed him the EXACT vehicle! He was stunned to say the least... but unfortunately never upheld his promise.

Twitter, embarrassingly, feeds this research need. CNN updates are probably my favorite thing in Twitterland! I read an article and then click on another one, then another one, and just keep clicking until I realize I've been researching meaningless crap for a half hour. Another aid to this guilty pleasure are the How Stuff Works podcasts! I am obsessed! And listen to them over and over. You can check out their site here. But BEWARE if you download them on iTunes - totally addicting.

My personal favorites are:
Stuff you Missed in History Class
Stuff you Should Know
Stuff Mom Never Told You

So that is one of my top guilty pleasures. What's yours?


1 comment:

chariskalee said...

I've completely got a similar need to research. It's sad to say that I have to force myself to resist the urge to google & drive. Something crosses my mind or I hear or read about it and I'm dying to look it up.