Saturday, March 9, 2013

HBD to my #1 Squeeze - the big 33

I am way behind on blogging because I pretty much work all the time.  But I wanted to take the time to recap my husband's birthday.  I always recap his birthdays and this year we realized just how special that is.

So... those of you who read my blog know that my husband is a musician and owns his own business - a recording studio.  He is the best engineer and producer this side of the Mississippi.  ;)  With his passion and his livelihood focused on music, he is always talking about new gear he wants for his band or his studio.  I pay attention and then try to get him one of the items each year for his bday.  The past while, he has repeatedly looked for and talked about a Rhodes keyboard.


Me, being the ever prepared wife (laugh it up), started looking for a Rhodes back in October.  I knew they were expensive so finding one even close to my budget would take a while.  Well... a few days later, I found the motherload in a Craigslist ad from Vegas.  I talked with the seller and knew I could not pass up such a deal!  I sent the ad to his bandmate and also to a friend in California who has a Rhodes in his studio.

They signed off on its awesomeness and I let J know that he needed to clear out 24 hours.  He had no idea what was going on but he agreed to clear his schedule.  So we hopped in my car and drove the 5 1/2 hours to Vegas, picked it up and drove back to Salt Lake.


The Rhodes was beautiful, in great shape, and a super amazing deal!  Sure it was 4 months before his birthday but hey, a deal is a deal.


He was SHOCKED and THRILLED!  

So when his actual birthday rolled around, J had already decided he wanted it to be low key.  He had toured in England in December and recorded for over a week in the mountains in January.... so low key and personal was on the plate.  Ben Folds Five was playing a reunion show in Vegas the week before his birthday... so of course we had to go!



crazy hair
His actual birthday started off with a nice home-cooked breakfast.   Since I gave up dairy and eggs 2 years ago, I don't ever cook fancy breakfasts.  For his bday, I surprised him with an egg and bacon breakfast sandwich...

I am a birthday fanatic (it's a problem), so I also made sure he still had a present to open... an album by the Cure ...

We then followed our birthday tradition of Benihana and the Red Door.  Dinner was exceptional and tasty like always.

And of course the Red Door is always a win-win situation... they seriously have the best martinis in Utah.  While at the Red Door, we talked a lot about the future and where we are today.   We also started reminiscing about past birthdays.  For the life of us, we could not remember which year was which.  Enter my handy-dandy blog.  We read through my recaps of his past birthdays with the who, what and where.  It was amazing and such a good way to spend the evening.  We both felt very blessed to be surrounded by amazing, loving family and friends.

So Happy Birthday J!  You are always my favorite celebration! :) 




No comments: