Friday, August 24, 2012

Who is Guyon and why do I care?!

I have been super MIA, I know.  So much has been going on!  My work is starting its busy season and we just completed the whole refi process!  Yay on saving money :)

Also, I haven't really mentioned it before... but I am now a few treatments in with a physical therapist.

When I was about 11 years old, I had a sports surgeon tell me that by the time I was 30, I would be lucky if I had any movement in my hands or wrists.  He told me specifically that if I did not quit gymnastics immediately, I would be lucky to do ANYTHING in the future with my hands!  As in write, hold things, play tennis... ANYTHING.   I was devastated.  Being 11 and already having 7 broken bones behind me, I thought that I was tougher than that.  I wasn't going to give up just because some doctor told me I should.  (4 broken bones later and 2 elbow surgeries, I finally learned my lesson)

Enter 28 years old and on to the good old 29....

I started noticing that my right hand was cramping pretty regularly.  I then started to lose the strength in it and was dropping stuff on accident all the time.  It got so bad that if I could make it through an entire day and only drop 2 things, I was thrilled! I started researching online and of course did what you are never supposed to do: self diagnosed through WebMD.  I mean, it is hard to look anything up on WebMD and not come out with some sort of fatal illness.  But... it kept coming up with the same thing .... a condition similar to carpal tunnel (just in a different area of the wrist and hand) known as Guyon's Canal and is related to the ulnar nerve.... All the research online stated the same thing... "Get it fixed or it will get worse!"  ... and believe me, the last thing I want is hand surgery!



Aww geez... the 11 year old gymnast in me is pissed. 

So I made an evaluation appointment with a doctor that had been suggested to me by some reliable sources.  After some muscle testing, xrays, and stress tests... turns out it is indeed the same condition I self-diagnosed on WebMD.  The nerves have been damaged and is causing the issues with my right hand, wrist and arm.  Dang. 

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  He thinks the nerve issues are also related to my neck.  So he is working on getting my spine back in place and making the vertebrae back in their proper position instead of their current position... which believe me, is totally whack!  Truth. So I'm pumped!  Not pumped about the time and cost but VERY pumped about the changes I am already noticing!  I don't wake up in pain throughout the night!  I have only dropped ONE thing in the last week! (That's a record)... AND I'm getting everything fixed now to reduce long term damage!

Who knows?!  Maybe this 3 month hiatus from all things workout related will be over soon!

I am always so fascinated by how the body is connected.  And I am thrilled to have a doctor that is really going above and beyond to make sure it is fixed.... and fixed correctly!  I even had a treatment today.  Man oh man, am I sore!  


Have you ever been told not to do something and then hated when it slapped you across the face? ;)

2 comments:

chariskalee said...

Oh that is great news Meggi! I am glad you are investing in healing that up. I am sure it will pay off. Good to hear it is helping already!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that sucks. At least you have found a doctor who can give you the care that you need. I went to the chiropractor after being rear ended this spring and was amazed the difference it made for me!