Every time I go home to Oklahoma, my mom has a new box of stuff for me to go through. I am a VERY sentimental person which often leads into being a total pack rat!
While going through one of the boxes I found my old gymnastics journal that I had toward the end of my gym career. The journal was something my coaches gave us to document our workouts. We had to say what we learned on each event, what we wanted to improve on and rank our attitude, etc. At the beginning of each workout we had to turn in the previous workout's journal entry for our coaches to review and sign off on. It was like gymnastics homework if that makes sense.
While reading through this little thing, I got SUPER emotional. I was shocked to see that I mentioned some sort of nagging pain or injury during EVERY workout. I mean, I did gymnastics for 14 years! Half of my life. I remember the big injuries like breaking bones and the surgeries I had on both elbows to remove the bone/cartilage pieces. But I forgot about all the physical therapy I had to do for my knees, all the doctors visits for my wrists, chiropractor visits for my back, acupuncture for my hips and the annoyance of having my shoulder pop out of socket all the time.
If you aren't in the gymnast world then you probably don't know that most gymnasts quit by the time they reach 7th grade. Puberty changes your center of balance and you have to kind of reconfigure how you do skills due to muscle changes. That paired with more school activities/curiosity means that most girls quit.
By the time I was 16, I had reached a burnout stage. I was the oldest in the gym and the highest level. Being the oldest and most advanced meant that I was pretty much the team captain. I started getting yelled at for my younger teammates misbehaving or cheating during their conditioning. I was at fault because if they were cheating, then I must not have been providing a good example. It was frustrating to be constantly in trouble because a girl 8 years younger than me wasn't doing her assigned number of pull-ups.
I was hurt and tired but I felt I owed it to myself to see it through college if my body could hold out. Also, I was bored. I discussed doing JV Cheer with my gym coaches which would mean I would miss about 8 workouts for the year. We discussed scheduling private workouts on Saturdays to make up for those 8 days if needed. They agreed to let me do cheer as long as I kept it "under wraps."
Fast forward 4 months to the night before school started my sophomore year in High School. My coaches informed me that they had a parent complain that I was getting to be involved in a school activity so to be fair, I either needed to quit cheer or quit gymnastics. Talk about BLINDSIDED! I was pissed! I had already signed the contract and cheer was considered one of my academic courses so I couldn't drop it. Thus, gymnastics was over. Just like that. After 14 years, half of which was with these coaches, I was done. I can't explain the anger I had. The utter disgust that they went back on their word. I was horrified and devastated.
My coaches were like my parents. I spent at least 20 hours a week with them, traveled with them, was at the hospital with them when they had their daughter, even discussed puberty with them. They were my parents. They were my heroes. And they let me down. I didn't know who I was. I was a gymnast. That was my life. My identity. And it was gone due to one parent complaint by a younger teammate who wanted to take violin. I understand their predicament but then I thought it was Ridiculous.
My senior year in college, I went back to the gym to visit my coaches. My male coach took me to the back and started crying. I stood there in shock as he apologized for everything. For handling things the way they did and for taking everything away from me for a ridiculous reason. He admitted that they constantly regret the way things happened. He asked for my forgiveness and I cried.
I have a lot of amazing memories, stories of triumphs, friendships, etc. from Gymnastics. But when I read that journal, the devastation and frustration is what poured over me. I am so very lucky to have had such a great opportunity and I am thankful that it shaped me into who I am today. Shaped my beliefs, my identity, my spirit.
My coaches are amazing people and honestly the best pseudo-parents I could have ever hoped for! They are caring in ways many gymnastics coaches are not. I was honored to see them for 20 minutes when they were driving through Utah with their daughter. I miss them and love them. Overall, I am thankful for them and the way they have shaped who I am today.








7 comments:
This made me a little teary.
I guess I never realized it went down exactly like that. As you know, I was gone before you and Ashlee (which was so hard, missed you guys so much) and so I didn't know it ended that way. Horrible.
But, just as you know, I know Jeff has a heart of gold and didn't mean for any of it to happen that way.
I remember after breaking my wrists, two surgeries on my heel, torn ligaments and tendons, back injuries and finally breaking both ankles, I was done. Remember Decision Day?
I went into the office to give Jeff my decision. I told him and he agreed it was the best thing for me to do. He didn't fight for me to stay like he did with everyone else. I remember feeling pretty hurt at that. But, I spent a good 5 years in casts, so I suppose I understand now.
Also: looking back, I am amazed that we did what we did. We cried probably at least 4 out of the 5 days.We were tough, but that didn't mean we didn't break down. Like when you locked yourself in the bathroom...or when I REFUSED to get out of the car for practice. Certainly made us tough.
One thing I am always grateful for is that gymnastics gave me you, Ashlee, and Kiwi and all the wonderful memories we were able to have together. oh hell, now I Am really crying. I love you and miss you so much.
awwww now you made me cry! :) Yes, we were tough. Looking back , I definitely understand their decision because they couldn't allow outside activities to snowball. But the 16 year old me was beyond devastated. I wasn't public about what happened because I think I was in denial and in freak out mode. And in a weird way, I wanted to protect the girl whose mom complained.
I completely agree about Jeff having a heart of gold. Truer words were never spoken ;) I think that's why his apology meant the world to me!
I still remember when I started laughing when you broke both your heels because I thought you were laughing. When I realized what happened, I felt SO bad! You were one tough cookie! Still are :) That is for sure!
I totally forgot about Decision Day! Things got pretty intense!
haha! Everyone laughed. Jeff laughed, you laughed..I think I might have even made a laugh like "holy hell, what happened, again? Ha. OWWWWW"
I have to tell you though that I majorly admired that you still came to the gym to do arm conditioning while your feet were both in casts! :) You were hard core!
Meggi,
You girls and your families were such a big part of all of our lived. I am sure as parents we had no idea what you girls were REALLY feeling. I am glad Lisa has you as a lifelong friend. Don't ever let go of that.
wowwww!I could related to this post so much having been a full-time competitive ice dancer, and having a 19 yr skating career!! injuries, rollercoaster rides of emotions, terrible conniving coaches, politics, dealing with crazy partners, moving, being alone in a new city, having my identity be "the figure skater", dealing with success, but mostly failure... burnout, etc. etc.
It taught me a lot, but also created some baggagE! lol One thing is for certain, I def. want part of my career to be in sports psych- helping athletes with training and balancing life, but also helping athletes retire and move on to begin new chapters!
thanks of sharing!
hugs,
gc
Thanks for your comment GC. I am glad you were able to relate. I think it is unfortunate that losing that identity can have such a large impact on a life like it did ours. I think in a weird way, those who do not get lost in the change emerge much stronger emotionally and learn the importance of cherishing the changes that come with life. Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment