Tuesday, October 25, 2011

If These Walls Could Talk ....

Last week, I started the day with my usual morning routine.  AKA, hit the snooze button a couple times, reluctantly rolled out of bed, put on a hoodie/glasses/uggs and took Cleo out to do her business.  I had a conference call this particular morning and was trying to rush her along.

But this morning was different.  As Cleo was taking her sweet time, an old man in a truck pulled up to our back fence and called me over to him.  He was VERY old but being the paranoid female I am, I explained that I was patiently waiting for my dog to do her deeds and needed to stay put (AKA far away from the fence).

This man then explained that he grew up in our house in 1925.  Our house was built in 1923 which means he was born 2 years later.  He went into detail about how his parents paid $3100 for the house/property.  He said the neighbors were all upset because the street behind our house used to be a "through street" until our house got in the way. 

He also explained how they had a cow and told me where the pastures were when he was a kid.  At this point, he got a phone call and asked to be excused for a second.  I looked down at my own phone to realize my conference call was starting and had to rush inside.  I immediately told J to go out and try to talk to him but by the time J went out, the old man had driven off. 

That was such a fun and rare blessing!  I wish I could have talked to him longer and asked more questions.  I also wish he could have come inside and told us how the house had changed. 

I know the basement wasn't built until 1932.... 9 years after they built the main floor.  This is a piece of newspaper we found in the woodwork when we ripped out the stairs.


I also wish I could know more about the original kitchen.  We still have the remnants of the brick stove area in our kitchen but the chimney has been removed. 

I hope he stops back by sometime.  I really would like to know more about our little home and her history :)


2 comments:

chariskalee said...

What a cool history your home has. Nice.

Jessie said...

I still wish you could have talked to him longer! And that picture is to die for by the way :) So cool to have!