Emily and I always bonded over music. We would find a new song we liked and write down the lyrics. Then we would stick the new song in eachother's locker in between classes. We'd analyze the song by trying to decide what the artist was meaning and then what it meant to us. Dorky? Sure. But this went on for ages! Even now, we sometimes will text a song to eachother to debate. We'd drive around for hours listening to new music and even skipped class to go get Janet Jackson's new album. We spent a whole drive to Dallas listening to 2 songs on repeat: "Come a Little Closer" by Dierks Bentley and "Over my Head" by the Fray.
Music is our thing.
Whenever we used to visit Oklahoma, I would try to pack in a million visits, lunches, coffee dates, beer talks as possible. J and I would end up running around on a strict time schedule and would leave us exhausted and stressed for the entire visit. We changed that with the last two visits... we just focused on family with a few friends scattered in. And, it equals the perfect visit!
We landed on Thursday around 3pm and drove to Norman. We bought new OU shirts, cruised around my old campus/sorority stomping grounds and ate dinner with my parents at an Italian restaurant in downtown Norman. We finished the evening by watching a movie in my parent's movie room. It was perfect and relaxing.
Friday, J went to the driving range with my dad so I met a friend from high school for coffee. It was SO much fun just sitting on the patio and giggling/talking about everything. I told her while we were there that I was really impressed with who she has become. I feel like she is finally content in her own skin. It was nice to see such confidence and beauty radiating from her. She is finally who she wants to be and you can tell. We sat on that patio for TWO hours and it was perfect.
We then met up with my sister, her hubby and this cute little lady...
After some delicious sushi, we retired back to the house where we talked and hung out for the rest of the night.
Saturday was family pictures and visiting with one of my cousins and her cute fam. That evening we went to the lovely wedding of Mrs. Clark ;) It was a beautiful ceremony and I was thrilled to be asked to read a prayer during it. The reception was gorgeous and everything I expected she would want. I laughed and danced and ate and drank with my high school girls, my parents and my wonderful husband. (Bless him for listening to all of our silly high school stories and jokes).
Sunday morning we rushed off to the airport and I couldn't help but think how much I loved this visit. I loved spending so much time with my niece. Loved laughing and catching up with my family. Loved getting to see my cousin. Loved getting to celebrate a special day with some of my best friends. And I loved enjoying my hometown. Just soaking in the beauty and the changes. I relished in being around friends who I've known for 15 years and have been right beside me for the events that made me who I am.
I can't wait 'til Christmas! I already know that visit will feel too short.





1 comment:
Thank you for such kind words about me! I feel the same about you too!!
Can't wait for Christmas! Love you!!
Post a Comment