Monday, April 11, 2011

Van Morrison ... you're speakin' my language

I started my new job last week and spent several days in Denver for their Rocky Mountain Team Meeting.  It was great finally meeting my managers and co-workers face to face.  The meeting was a yearly recap rather than a training session but it still gave me an opportunity to have somewhat of a crash course on the job. 

I feel good about this new position and am hoping it is the blessing I have been waiting for :) 

With that being said, I actually HATE flying in and out of the Denver airport and always try to fly through Phoenix instead.  With all the turbulence and flight cancellations I've encountered there, I was not too thrilled about the flights.  Anyways, long story short, our takeoff when departing Denver was probably the scariest thing I've been through thus far.  We're talking the try-not-to-pee-myself-while-preparing-texts-to-J-to-express-my-undying-love type of scary.  Luckily, this text did not get sent. Why?

A. I couldn't pry my white knuckled fingers from the arm rest
B. I thought I might have a heart attack before being able to type the whole message
C. I couldn't make a decision on the debate of whether I should also include my selection for his future wife with me out of the picture (she's a real gem), and couldn't sum up a text to tell all my friends and fam
D. All of the above

That's right quiz takers, it was D.

So anyways, after twenty SCARY minutes of praying nonstop, the plane leveled out and it in fact seemed like we would survive that little episode.  I spent the rest of the flight contemplating life and the "what if's" associated with my little experience. 

More than anything, I thought about what I would change.  In that scary moment, I contemplated what pieces of my life I would do different, what causes I would get behind, and what experiences I craved.  It was shocking to me that of all the possibilities, I wouldn't change much.   Sure, I would spend more time with people I care about and in the "friend" aspect, I feel I already balance that pretty well other than getting to see my Oklahoma friends.  On the family side, I would visit them WAY more often and try to be there for all the major events. 

But all of the causes and organizations etc, were not a vital importance of this "last chance" life idea.  I came to two conclusions:
1. I would continue the way I am now and really focus on creating a family with J
2. I would sell everything we own and travel the world, working odd jobs along the way

When I told J about all of this he wasn't too surprised.  He said he thinks we live our life with a positive blend of both.  We travel a lot even if it's just an overnight adventure and try to keep the wandering nature with a healthy mix of responsibility. 

I felt much better about my little plane perplexities.  Not to mention, that I got to tell him all those wonderful "texts" in person :)

ALSO... he had this amazing surprise waiting for me....






And rearranged our living room to the idea I've harboring in my head.... (he searched out my living room schematic on my laptop to make sure it was right... Clever husband!)



Totally opens up our living room ...   and makes me excited to buy the furniture piece to go here...


And I leave you with a song that resonates all too well...

 

1 comment:

Lisa said...

One of my favorite songs :)