Monday, May 7, 2007

jump in...

Today at work, my boss and I spent 2 hours in a car driving out to "boondocks," Oklahoma and back. Along the way, we basically caught up on the other's life and talked about the various things that have made us who we are. While talking about one of the subjects I've been struggling with, she said to me "If you knew that you were going to die within the next year, what would your decision be?"

I told her what anyone would answer to such a question, "I'd go for it, let it all out there, and jump in."

She laughed and said "Exactly! But how do you know when God will decide it's your time? Why hold back and let life pass you by? You'll never achieve anything by sitting back and waiting for it to happen."

I told her I agreed obviously but that it's a lot harder when decisions mean you could lose everything… and rock bottom is never somewhere you want to send yourself.

It's crazy how such a simple statement hit me so hard. Why waste time watching your life pass you by. Opportunities are gifts from God and it's your choice whether or not you act on them. And if it ends in failure, at least you know you gave it your best shot and you won't spend your entire life wondering "what if?" I'd rather have a lifetime of failures then a lifetime of things i wish i had done. Failures build character and make success that much sweeter.

No comments: