Friday, May 4, 2012

Cruizin - Caymans

Our last stop on the cruise was the Cayman Islands.  I went there when I was about 12 so I knew exactly what I wanted to do: Sting-Ray City Sandbar.  This was my favorite part of Cayman so I really wanted J to be able to experience it. 

I tend to be a sucker for catamarans but since we had some little ones with us, we opted for a boat that had easy access to the water... AKA a staircase on back.  The boat was amazing and even had a full bar!

J and I couldn't pass up trying Cayman's local brew! :)

Side Note: I was pretty dang excited that my mom got me a UV protectant Rash Guard for this trip!  (If you are wondering why I am in long sleeves).   I burn REALLY easily.  As in, my mom used to have to put sunblock in my hair before school everyday because my scalp would burn during recess.   So it was perfect for our day in Cayman :)  


Sting Ray City is a spot in the middle of the ocean where the sandbar creates a shallow, beach like setting.  I'm 5'3 and the water was just under my bellybutton.  The stingrays are wild and come to feed from buckets of squid that they bring with each excursion.  I chose not to feed them just because I didn't want to touch the squid.  I am lame, I know.  My cousin's 5 year old did....

But I did pet them!  


And J held one.... and kissed it.  Supposedly it's 7 years good luck for each kiss!  Here's hopin'! :)



The whole excursion was pretty brief.  A quick ride out there.... a while with the stingrays and then the quick ride back.


We own our own snorkel gear so after the stingray adventure, we stopped at 7 Mile Beach and ate lunch.  We snorkeled a little but unfortunately the good snorkeling areas were too far away for us to make it back to the cruise ship in time.

I enjoyed spending most of the time at the beach chatting with my aunt and my mom.  It was a lot of fun just sitting and chatting with my aunt because I do not see her often so the catching up doesn't happen as often as it should.  Such a fun day with my family!  Makes me want to go back to Cayman's for another week... or live there ;)


I hope you have enjoyed my cruise recap!  Hoping that another tropical vacation isn't too far away :)

2 comments:

chariskalee said...

What an amazing memory! I love these pics. I want to go a cruise now, ha!

Jessie said...

That place looks gorgeous! I have been there before...twice! But I don't remember it looking like that! I love the pic of you and J snorkeling :)