Friday, March 30, 2012

Blast from the Past ... book style

The other day I was working an event at a local university.... and I SWEAR I saw Viola Swamp.  Seriously.  In the flesh.  She even gave me a smirk.  All these years, a character from one of my favorite books has been living in Utah.   I almost asked this Viola-look-a-like for a photo.  I am not kidding.

For those of you that have NO IDEA what I am talking about, let's take a trip down a little road called "Meg's Memory Lane" ... We'll start with what brought about this whole post...

Miss Nelson Is Missing! was a staple in my childhood reading list.  I loved this book with all my little heart!  Including eerie old Viola Swamp...

 The 5 year old Meg shudders at the sight .... 

So this whole encounter got me thinking... what other books had such a big impact on me?  Beyond the traditional Bernstein Bears, Where's Waldo, Dr. Seuss and Disney extravaganza, I loved those little books about silly Amelia Bedelia.   I swear if they made a version for adults, I would laugh my butt off.  A few of the others that I adored were:

  • If you give a Mouse a Cookie
  • Polar Express
  • The King, The Mice and the Cheese
  • Where the Sidewalk End and Falling Up
  • The Little Prince

Anyways, the next book that I remember being completely captivated by was ...


Animalia... I loved this book!  It was rare that I was able to have it considering it wasn't a hard read but I loved it all the same.  There was something whimsical about the book and I would spend hours trying to find all the hidden things in each illustration.  


A Dog Called Kitty is a heartfelt book that made me cry my eyes out!  This was a book on a whole new level for me.  The story is set in Oklahoma which is why I think I was originally drawn to it.  This book was the first book that made me realize the power of a story.  It struck me in a way that I can't explain.  But I loved it all the same.  :)

Next is when I guess I could say my dark side set in?  I absolutely adored RL Stine's Fear Street Saga Trilogy: The Betrayal, The Secret, and the Burning.   They start in the 1600's and focus on a girl who falls in love with the son of their family's rival.  I think this might be where I developed my love for historical fiction ;)  maybe...  


Next I read a controversial book that was recommended to me by a friend: Go Ask Alice.  This book was a lot for me to read at 13 but I loved it.  It is a supposed diary by a 15 year old girl addicted to drugs and describes the terrible consequences of her decisions.  It is very dark but honest.  And I think I admired the honesty of the writing.  

After such dark reads for a little Meg, I chose something a little different... AKA The Left Behind Series.  My parents read these book and the idea of reading the same books as my parents made me feel grown up.  I only made it through the first 3 of the 16 in the series but I liked it nonetheless :)

By this time I was in High School and started reading the classics like:
  • The Great Gatsby
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Watership Down
  • 1984
  • The Outsiders
  • Lord of the Flies 
  • In Cold Blood
  • Catcher in the Rye  etc etc etc. 
All of those books were good and I have reread a few but for some odd reason, I got SUPER into Edgar Allan Poe and Emily Dickinson in high school.  Maybe I was going through a weird phase?  Maybe it was because I was a nerd?  Or the fact that I was no longer a gymnast (my identity)... Either way, I became enthralled by their works.  My favorites were Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee" (which I had to memorize for a class)... 

And Emily Dickinson's "Because I could not stop for death" .... (which I had to do a report on in class)...

Looking back now, I am surprised how dark they are because I didn't feel that way.  I think Annabel Lee will always be one of my favorite pieces of poetry regardless.

My senior year, I took a class called Teacher Cadet where we would interact with local elementary school children.  It was such a treat to go into the classrooms and see the same books I fell in love with 12 years earlier.  It made me so happy to see that the little stories that captured my heart as a 5 year old were still being treasured by a whole new generation :)



What were some of your favorites growing up??


3 comments:

Jessie said...

I've never read either of those poems before, but they are so good! I never thought I was in to poetry, but turns out I might be! Haha :)

To this day, To Kill a Mockingbird and 12 Angry Men are 2 of my very favorites!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

holy crap, forgot about go ask alice. LOVED that.

chariskalee said...

Oh so many of my favorites growing up too! We'll have to talk books and poems sometime. Such a great post!