Dear readers,
I usually don't comment on TV items because I don't watch tv. Recently we watched The Voice for our friend Neal and Idol for our friend Haley and yes, we even watched the Grammys AND the SuperBowl. Who are we?! Usually I stay far away from tv due to all the pointless, shallow crap that's flung across the screen in the form of advertisements.
Don't get me wrong, I watch the crap out of Dexter, Bones, Warehouse 13 and the Walking Dead. BUT completely COMMERCIAL FREE. I can't stand advertisements (ironic for a girl with a bachelors in Advertising, but whatever).
I was actually thrilled with the Grammys for the most part. Adele and Foo Fighters walking away as the biggest winners felt like justice. Justice against the piece of shit Lady Gaga's of the world. And the negative press about the joke that is Nicki Minaj made me smile to the depths of my soul.
I wish our society would quit honoring the spectacle shit-show that is untalented, overproduced, scripted creations of the music industry. Please don't get wrapped up into thinking any of that is authentic. The music industry scripts every piece of an artist's life. It's like thinking an advertisement is genuine. That the ad exec didn't go through countless hours and focus groups finding what colors, fonts, race of their actor and music would appeal to their target audience.
For instance, an up and coming band gets signed by a major label. In order to make this band ride the indie, under-dog wave... the label signs them to one of their "small, independent labels" even though the major label still oversees every decision. Then the band works their way up to national appeal so that all those fans who liked them as underdogs feel justice was served. Little do they know, it's all planned out. Sad fact.
I think I get so frustrated because I'm a musician's wife. I watch the talented souls get bypassed for the gimmick. Last night we went to watch a friend play at a local bar. His music is honest and genuine. His talent is heads and shoulders above the those on the radio. He makes his living playing local venues and he deserved better than post Jazz game drunks on a Friday night.
So to my little readership out there, go support raw talent and true musicians. And support your local music scene too.
I'll leave you with this little gem....

2 comments:
Good points on how easily the entertainment indrustry manipulates/takes advantage the masses.
Oh my goodness! How far behind the blog-times have I been for the last month?!
This is one of those posts that I could go on and on about, spewing my opinions and judgements left and right. So I'll just say that I agree. It's SO frustrating to have musicians in your life, ones with ACTUAL talent, when the music industry is filled with auto tune and ridiculous costumes.
And I absolutely HATE Nicki Minaj. She is, indeed, a shit-show.
Post a Comment