Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Oh Baby, Baby!

I have only been to two baby shower's in my entire life!  My sister's and my cousin Jaime's.  With that being said, I have a friend who has been blessed (and surprised) with Twins!  A boy and a girl!  She has two boys already but has never had a baby shower so you better believe I rushed to offer to throw her one!  She needs double of everything so she was thrilled to think she would be helped with all those necessities. 

As part of her baby shower, I want to make her a diaper cake.  If you have never heard of a diaper cake, it's basically diapers rolled to resemble a three-tiered cake.  It's a staple at most baby showers in Oklahoma and a cute way to give the mom-to-be as many poop pads as you can.

Well, my good friend is throwing her sister a baby shower this weekend for her third little kiddo and her FIRST baby girl!  I was thrilled to be invited and jumped at the thought of what I should get her.  My friend said she really needs diapers so with pure anticipation I verified whether a diaper cake was already being done.  It wasn't.  YAY!  Add an hour at the dollar store, several youtube videos and a peruse (2 hours) at Hobby Lobby ... and you've got one SUPER excited girl (me)! What better way to practice on Whitney's Diaper Cake then by doing one for Laura this weekend?!  Oh the joy!

I started with a 50 pack of diapers and some goodies I picked up at the dollar store.


I rolled each diaper from bottom to waist and secured with a rubber band. 

A lot of people will recommend unfolding the diaper before rolling but I kept them folded to try to keep them more sanitary for the baby.

After they were all rolled, I started to place them in a circle with the waist edge turned inward so they would not unroll as easily.  I secured them with a large rubber band to replace the individual rubber bands.

Once each tier was done, I placed stir sticks down the center to try to keep the layers from disconnecting.  (If you put force on it vertically it would crumble but horizontally it will stay together, if that makes sense).  I also measured out my ribbon and then prepared the hot glue gun.


I placed a folded piece of paper inside the rubber band on each layer to try to reduce the amount of hot glue that gets on the actual diapers.


I hot glued the ribbons one at a time over the paper to create layers. 

After putting the ribbons on, I took the fun dollar store items and secured them around the "cake" to make it a little more fun.  I also put some heavy stickers on the ribbon to add some pizzazz ... yes I said pizzazz. 

I finished by adding a curly ribbon bow tucked into the top tier and a sparkly pink butterfly...

A Diaper Cake! Yay!  So proud of myself.  It was super easy and I promise, if I can do it - YOU CAN TOO! :)

5 comments:

ryan said...

AHHHH! OH MY GOSH! This is LITERALLY the CUTEST thing I have ever seen! It looks sooo good! I even read the instructions carefully and can't seem to figure out how you made diapers look so darn cute! You are one talented lady, Mrs. Pack! It totally made me cry, so I can GUARANTEE it will make my sister too ;)

ryan said...

WHAT?! I'm not Ryan!? Why does it say Ryan?!

Jessie said...

Haha....he checked his email last and was still logged in :) I'm SMART!

Emily @ EMILY POSTS said...

SO CUTE!

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

You are crafty! I loathe baby showers. The part I hate most is when they open the gifts and proceed to PASS EVERY ITEM around the gift circle so each guest can fondle, ooo, and ahh over each item. Uh, sorry, but onesies and rattles don't do it for me. Pass around the gifts at a bachelorette party, now we're talking.