Monday, September 26, 2011

Bye-Yum-Pum-Pum

 "If a girl wants to be popular now-a-days, there's one thing she absolutely needs to know..... Bye-yum-pum-pum."


This past weekend, my husband and I went to a fundraiser for a dear friend who is doing a mission trip to Africa in February.  She is part of a belly dance troup her in Salt Lake so all of her friends got together for a GREAT performance!  It was 18+ due to numerous burlesque acts and even a pole-dance routine.  (My husband had no idea he would see so many boobs when I told him we were going to a "fundraiser".... clever pasties) ;)

Anyways, it was an honor being around so many women who are truly comfortable with their bodies in all shapes and sizes.  I loved seeing all their outfits, accessories, make-up and hairstyles! I am a performer at heart and miss the days of practicing something until the big unveiling!  The nervousness and excitement all focusing on that one event.  It was a celebration of what it means to be a woman.... and more importantly - what it means to feel like a beautiful woman. 

It got me thinking about how much I love to be girly!  I often feel I was born in the wrong decade! I want dresses, heels, fancy hats! I dance from decade to decade in my style choices and often get discouraged at how little I find.

I want the 20's flirty flair .....


I want the 30's feminine sophistication .....



I want the 40's  glamorous sensibility ..... 





I want the 50's classic idealism .....





I want the 60's expressive rebellion  ....






I have always been a dress girl.  I buried it for a couple of years but it sprouted back like a giant weed.... too ingrained to let go.   When I was  a couple feet high, I used to refuse to leave the store or buy any clothes unless I could try them on and check out their "spin quality."  I would stand in front of the mirror and just spin..... making sure the dress created a perfect circle outward without inhibiting the spin.   This wasn't just any test, this was THE test for every dress.  I hear that my niece has inherited this trait at the young age of 3.... :)

I tend to wear dresses a lot lately and I hate always feeling overdressed for everything.  But I don't hate it enough not to wear them.  I will continue my search and will hopefully have more dresses ready to go before it snows.  

With that being said, I will leave you with one of my favorite scenes from a movie I watched religiously as a child.  Please try to at least make it to 1:35 where it really gets started :)










And, no joking aside..... I danced around my room with a blanket for years doing my own Bye-Yum-Pum-Pum routine...

"For when you're oh so mysteri-o-so, the men will grow so entranced with you. As you secretly conceal the tingly way you feel when you're dancing to Bye-yum-pum-pum."



1 comment:

chariskalee said...

Thumbs up! - another total dress-girl