Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Viva la Mexican!

Since moving to Utah, I have been on a never ending search to find AMAZING mexican food. It has been one failure after another. I am used to going to mexican restaurants, sitting down, and immediately being served:
Chips
Salsa
Tortillas
Relish
and... QUESO!

No such luck in Utah! Most mexican places don't even have Queso on the menu. Such a shame!

Well I have found three promising restaurants in the past month in reverse order...

3. Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill
When Jess came to stay with us from Vegas, she insisted on eating here as it is one of her favorite Utah restaurants. And I have to say, it was amazing. It was the best Mexican I had tried thus far. Not only did they serve queso, but it was delicious. HOWEVER, you really can't call this a mexican restaurant even though they serve some mexican food. It's basically a MUCH BETTER version of Chili's.

2. The Red Iguana -

"Home Of Killer Mexican Food"

Yes, that is their slogan. This place is Legen... wait for it .... dary! It always has a line out the door and is probably the most talked about mexican food in Salt Lake. I ate there today for the first time and although it was a great meal, it still doesn't come close to Oklahoma mexican. The Queso was delicious but tasted similar to the kind I make with Velveeta and Rotel. After all the hype, I was disappointed but will probably eat there a lot due to its newly appointed status as the "Second Best Mexican Food in Utah." If you're ever in Salt Lake, it is a must visit! It's a little hole in the wall and is a fun vibey place. It has won more awards then any other mexican restaurant in the state. I may be a little harsh on this place but let's face it... I'm a mexican food snob.

1. El Chihuahua

We found this place about two weeks ago when a girlfriend had her birthday dinner here. The vibe is much like Chelino's in Bricktown... only smaller. I have only tried their quesadillas but they are the best dang quesadillas this side of the mountain! AND they have this fabulous drink called the Death Star. It's served in a glass reminiscent of Hawaiian Don days. So far this is the best place in Utah! But don't worry I will continue my search because even this place is disappointing when compared to Ted's or Poblano's!

2 comments:

Emily @ EMILY POSTS said...

omg i feel ya. i seriously think the only good mexican is in okalahoma or texas...colorado's mexican is even questionable. its so sad! i think when i moved back i made erin go to teds with me once a week for a few months. now preston's become a ted's lover! (even though last night i had to explain to him what fajitas were!)

Brandon Vincent said...

meggi! So I still haven't found good mexican in SLC. It sucks! Not a fan of any of the places on your list. the Red Iguana was such a let down after all the hype. Have you had Los Hermanos down in Utah County? Make Joelie Fingers take you there. It's my favorite around. Really, I would drive down there before going to any place here. Tried "Mi Ranchito Grill" last week, BIG mistake.