Thursday, August 21, 2008

Making my way in Sin City

Well we have officially lived in Vegas for almost a month. I honestly can't believe it. Some times it seems like we barely even lived in Utah and other days, it's like we just moved here yesterday. The first week we were here was a whirl-wind.

We got here late Saturday evening and Jessica (our landlord, roommate, and friend) was out of town until Monday. We decided to take advantage of her not being there by having everything unpacked and settled before she got home Monday. We woke up EARLY Sunday morning to go get furniture for our bedroom. Luckily we had enough gift cards from our wedding that we didn't have to spend a penny :)

We spent ALL day Sunday putting together 2 large dressers and 2 desks. (Or I guess I should say, Joel put together 2 desks and a dresser in the amount of time that it took me to build only one dresser... whatever, I'm a girl right?). :)

Sunday night we met up with one of my friends from Oklahoma, Ms. Jenny Hawkins and her significant other, Matt. We ate at a really fancy Steak restaurant named Del Frisco and it was AMAZING! It was SO good seeing Jenny and getting to catch up over a bottle of wine. (Plus I enjoyed watching the camaraderie build between Joel and Matt).

After our fancy steak dinner, Joel and I took them to Double Down Saloon. It's our favorite dive bar in Vegas and is famous for a drink called "Ass Juice." They claim that at the end of every night, they empty all their liquor bottles into a big tub. Sounds sketchy, but it basically tastes like Koolaid and is a MUST for any Vegas-goer.

After the Double Down, we all cruised back to their room at the Bellagio. Their room overlooked the fountains so we shared a bottle of wine while watching them from the room window.


That Monday, Joel did his first Vegas open-mic at a place called Aces & 8's. He made some great friends that first night and really knocked the socks off of everyone.




Joel and I spent the following days going to Lake Mead with 2 of his friends from Utah (Brigham and Liz) and their friends from Henderson (Steve and Brooke). Any of you that know me, know I have a HUGE fear of boats due to various negative experiences from over the years. But I braved it out the best I could. I didn't get in the water either afternoon but I at least rode around on the boat without fearing for our lives. haha! Steve and Brooke are awesome drivers so I felt safe. Next time, I may actually get in!


That Friday, Jessica threw Joel and I a "Welcome to Vegas" party/cookout. It was SO much fun.


We spent a couple hours playing Apples to Apples with our new amazing friends and even Brig and Liz were able to make it to the shindig. The games gets pretty intense.


The following night, we cruised down to Fremont Street to hang out with Brig and Liz before she had to fly home the next morning. We walked around Fremont and people watched while trying to convince Liz and Brig to tie the knot.



After watching the Fremont Experience, we strolled over to the Golden Nugget to do some late night hot-tubbing.

On our way through the hotel, we saw a group of 24 brides cruising the lobby and taking lots of pics... we tried to convince Brig and Liz it was a sign, but they didn't bite :)


Needless to say, Vegas is home... who would have thought?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm soooo happy for you!!! (but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little sad that you're having such a good time there, I miss you guys too much!!) :)

*hugs*